Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Morbid curiosity of a peculiar concept.

I often question my beliefs, partially because I like to think of myself as a realist.
I'm a Catholic, not heavily devoted, but I do attend church on few occasions. And as much as my grandparents, parents and faith community want me to believe, I do question the existence of a God. Often actually.
I believe that to be a good person, you should already have morals and values instilled within you, it's just being human. I know for me personally, that it has not been my religion which has taught me to respect others, or not kill. It's just the right thing to do, and many people do this.

I also think that religion is outdated. There is way too much beef between other denominations and other religions.
My parents hate this, but I have nothing against Muslims.
Also, i think gay marriage should be legalised, much to my parents dismay.

I think I believe that there might be something out there, beyond the human and natural causes... maybe. I just think life and our very existence is a mystery and religion is an attempt to explain how we came to be. No religion is right or wrong and to some extent we all believe in the same things...

Will my children be Catholic? Yes, most likely because it's what I know. And sure, it's nice to have something to believe in.
I think Karma explains how life works. You do good deeds and the favor is returned and the converse get what they had coming. In the end, everyone gets what they deserve... So i suppose it's fair.

And this concept of life after death? I have no idea! Is there anything? I still maintain the childish perception of heaven as a place up in the sky, amongst the clouds. Looking down on the world, talking with other angels and possessing great power. Obviously this is unlikely, but it's nice to think of death as a beautiful paradise, or maybe an oasis? And re-incarnation? Is that even plausible... who knows? Only the birds and the bees...
Death has been on my mind lately, not suicidal or anything like that, just that a few people I know have family who have just passed. If there is a God, what or who can justify pain and suffering? I just hope they are in a better place now.

I'm scared of death.
Not so much the dying part, it's just what I'm going to miss.
What will happen to my kids? grand kids? brother? sister? cousins? nieces? nephews? my husband? my home?

What will the world be like once i die? That's what I'm most afraid of... what I'm missing out on,

If I can try and believe that there is a better life waiting, maybe this concept won't be so daunting.



Until then, I can only try and believe...

In something.

No comments:

Post a Comment